When it comes to restoring smiles and replacing lost teeth, you have a few options. There are a lot of factors that will determine which option is best for you, whether it is dentures, veneers, bridges, or implants. However, because of the security and durability of dental implants, this is the first choice for many people. In today’s blog, we’re going to go over a few reasons why dental implants are so popular, as well as a few considerations to take before having the procedure. Keep reading to learn more, and be sure to contact either of our two New Jersey dentists offices for more information on implants.
The Benefits Of Dental Implants
When you find a dental implantologist you trust to restore your smile, it is often a very hopeful time for patients who have been feeling insecure about their smile. Missing teeth can cause a slew of health problems, as well as slurred speech, lisps, and insecurity. But thankfully, dental implants are a good option for most people, and with an incredibly high success rate, they give people hope that they can have a beautiful, permanent smile again. Below, we’ve listed just a few of the benefits of dental implants.
- Permanent replacement: Rather than bridges or dentures that can pop in and out, implants fuse to the bone and are designed to be a permanent structure. When cared for properly, they can function for life.
- Same function as real teeth: Dental implants serve the same function as your real teeth, and allow you to speak, eat, and clean them like normal. Unlike dentures, implants do not move around and do not need to be taken out to be cleaned, meaning you will not experience slurred speech or have to worry about handling removable dentures.
- Improved self-esteem: One of the most common nightmares that almost everyone has had at least once is their teeth falling out. Unfortunately, some people are actually living this every day, which can cause a lot of insecurity and self-esteem issues. However, once you have your smile back, you will likely feel more confident and love showing off your new teeth.
- Discreet: Most likely, people will never know that you have implants if you don’t tell them. The implant is placed in your jaw and the crown fits snugly against your gums.
- You won’t even notice: Not only will others not notice you have implants, but you will likely forget you have them yourself. While there may be some discomfort following the procedure, once the implants fuse with the bone and the prosthesis is placed, the implant becomes part of you. While it may feel weird to actually have a tooth in the place where there was not one, you will quickly get used to this and not even think about your implants.
Drawbacks Of Dental Implants
Of course, Poison may have said it best when they sang, “Every rose has its thorn.” While the success rate of dental implants is incredibly high, especially when you have on of the best dentists in town handling your care, there are still a few things to remember.
- Getting implants placed is one of the more invasive options when it comes to replacing lost teeth. If you are not healthy enough to handle the surgery, it may be a better option to choose dentures. Your dentist can consult with your physician to ensure you are a good candidate to receive implants.
- It’s not an overnight process. While your dentist won’t make you walk around toothless for months, there will be a several-month transition period when the implants are fusing to the jaw before the permanent structures can be placed.
- Dental implants can only be successful if the patient puts in the effort to care for them. If the patient is a heavy smoker or drinker, or someone who has poor oral hygiene and cannot or will not change their habits, then that person might have a more difficult time maintaining the implants.
- While we have financing options at our dental offices, it is important to remember that dental implants are a more expensive tooth replacement option and often not covered entirely by dental or medical insurance.
Learn More About Your Tooth Replacement Options
At Seaview Dental and Century Dental, we will make sure you know all of your options before committing to or foregoing implants. Our team of dentists can evaluate your oral health as well as your dental history and explain which restorative options are best for you. However, if you do choose to get implants, know that you are in good hands. Dr. Ira Port specializes in implant dentistry and has successfully placed over 19,000 dental implants in his career and our other dentists are incredibly experienced in implants as well. Get in touch today to learn more about how implants can change your life!