What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown, sometimes called a cap, covers a severely damaged tooth and protects it. It is quite literally a cap that fits over your existing tooth. At Century Dental and Seaview Dental, we only use metal-free zirconia crowns to provide a natural-looking, durable cap for your tooth. They are cemented permanently to your tooth and can last up to 15 years.
What Is the Process of Getting a Dental Crown?
Having a dental crown installed on your tooth will take approximately two visits. Your New Jersey dentist will need to make a dental crown and fit it to your tooth and bite.
- Make a dental appointment to discuss a tooth that is giving you problems.
- Your dentist will access your tooth and whether or not a crown is the best route.
- Your dentist will remove any decay from your tooth and file it down to make room for the crown.
- You will have impressions taken that will be used to create your permanent crown.
- Your dentist will fit you with a temporary crown to protect your tooth while you are awaiting your permanent crown.
- You will return for a second visit when your permanent crown is complete.
- Your dentist will remove your temporary crown and clean up any adhesive.
- Your dentist will begin to fit your crown to your bite. This may require several adjustments, but it’s important that you are honest with your dentist here and to ensure your new crown won’t interfere with your bite.
- When your crown fits just right and your bite feels natural, your dentist will permanently cement your crown to your tooth.
- Follow your dentist’s aftercare instructions, and in a few days, you’ll be able to eat and drink like normal.
Make an Appointment at Century Dental, Seaview Dental or Century Dental East
If you think you may need a dental crown or any other restorative dental work, contact your New Jersey dentists at Century Dental or Seaview Dental for an appointment. We also specialize in preventative oral care and would be happy to schedule a comprehensive exam and cleaning. Visit us today at any of our two locations in Eatontown and Jackson.